If you’ve become a victim of crime and believe an organisation you are dealing with has failed to follow the Victims’ Charter principles, you may be able to make a complaint to the Victims of Crime Commissioner.

Can I make a complaint?

You can make a complaint to the Commissioner if you are a:

  • victim of crime
  • family member of a victim of crime who has died as a result of that crime
  • family member of a child who is a victim of crime
  • family member of a victim of crime with a mental impairment.

Who can I make a complaint about?

You can make a complaint against agencies that:

  • investigate crimes, such as Victoria Police
  • prosecute crimes at court, such as the Office of Public Prosecutions
  • provide services to victims of crime, such as the Victims Assistance Program.

What can I complain about?

The Victims’ Charter sets out principles for how agencies should treat you or your family members. The Commissioner can only investigate complaints that relate to an agency’s compliance with these principles.

The Commissioner cannot accept or investigate complaints about an individual’s conduct or the outcome of a criminal case.

If you believe an agency has not treated you or a family member in line with the Victims’ Charter and are unable to resolve the matter with that agency directly, you can make a complaint to the Commissioner.

What do I need to do before I make the complaint?

Before you make a complaint to the Commissioner, you must complain to the agency first. This gives them a chance to address your complaint.

How can I make a complaint to the Commissioner?

Call 1800 010 017 or email enquiries@vocc.vic.gov.au (External link)

You can discuss your complaint with us, and we will help you to submit your complaint.

We can also answer any questions you have about making a complaint.

What happens after a complaint is made?

Each complaint is acknowledged and assessed by the Commissioner within 28 days.

Once assessed your complaint will either be:

  • Accepted for investigation by the Commissioner and both parties are notified
  • Referred to another organisation if the complaint is outside the Commissioner’s authority
  • Declined by the Commissioner and you will be advised of the outcome.


How the Victims' Charter complaints process works


Contact enquiries@vocc.vic.gov.au (External link) to find out more. More information is also available about assessing and investigating complaints.

Can I withdraw my complaint?

You can withdraw your complaint at any time by notifying us in writing.


enquiries@vocc.vic.gov.au (External link)


Victims of Crime Commissioner
GPO Box 4356
Melbourne VIC 3000